Bev Steer, Carey Baptist Grammar School: email@example.com
- To use an artwork or visual image as a stimulus for writing;
- As a class or group to reflect and discuss the messages in the artwork and share and build on each others’ ideas;
- To create a written piece that reflects an individual response demonstrating deep thinking, creativity, understanding and thoughtful consideration of others’ ideas.
Steps in this approach to learning are:
- Seat students in a semi-circle around the painting;
- Students are given time to view the painting and to think—3 minutes. The ‘Thinking Routine: See, Think, Connect’ could be used in this step as a means of students gathering ideas and information.
- Ideas are then shared and expanded in a group discussion.